Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day

My Dad started his own business the year I was born. He worked long days, weekends, and on occasion would drive up separately on family vacations because he couldn't be away from his work. He was however, not absent by any means from my childhood. Time with my dad was always treasured. He would take me to book stores in Berkeley or antique shops to hunt for presents for my mom, our trips always punctuated with a stop at Peets for a cappuccino for him and a cookie for me. On my seventh birthday he presented me with a microscope, a present that stood out from the dolls and clothes I loved, but that had been obviously my mother's choosing. As a teenager we would go to the museum for a special exhibit or drive to Cal for a lecture given by a Nobelauriate . Many nights we went to the CSU library so he could read Barrons, leaving me to browse curiously through college stacks. My dad is one of the smartest and honest men I know and I am so lucky that he is the one man in my life who will always be there.

For my Dad and for all the Dads out there... Happy Father's Day



No comments: