Sunday, July 19, 2009

Summer Strawberry Lemonade

I lived abroad for a year while in school, and had a craving for my mom's homemade lemonade one hot summer day. Although lemonade is simple enough to make, I called my mom for her recipe and it has always been my favorite. What's great about making lemonade from scratch is that you can add the water glass by glass, keeping a jar of lemonade base in the fridge all summer long. 
I would make this often that summer in Bordauex. Alicia and I would eat the candied peel hot, straight from the pot, as she would mix a tart and sugary spoonful into her beer.  To make a strawberry version of this delicious drink, just add fresh strawberry puree. This is wonderful mixed with fizzy water instead of still. I also like to add sliced strawberries and fresh mint, making it extra fancy! 

Homemade Lemonade 

Boil the following for 5 minutes in a small pot...

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
Rind of 2 large lemons cut into strips
1/8 tsp. salt

Cook and add juice of 6 lemons
Strain and keep in fridge

To enjoy a glass of lemonade, 2 tblsp syrup and 1 glass water!

Yesterday we celebrated Mila's 4th birthday. Aaron and I made too much food!  Although the cupcakes were delicious, I'd have to say the most pleasing was the strawberry lemonade... 

Mila, the Mermaid Princess turns 4!

No comments: